Unexpected.

I was fifteen years old and I was on my way to sleep. I just got done eating an apple and drinking some water. I was starting to doze off when all of sudden I got this really sharp pain in my upper right abdomen. I tried to ignore it and go back to sleep, but it just seemed to get worse as time went by. Finally about thirty minutes later, I was starting to realize that this pain was different form any other kind of stomach ache and it was starting to hurt to breath. 
    Finally I got up which just seemed to make it ten times worse. I went to my mom's room trying not to cry. I told her what was happening and she could see that something was really wrong because I typically have a high pain tolerance. She told me to go the bathroom and see if that helped. It didn't. I ended up getting really nauseous and throwing up. She started asking me all these questions: "What did you eat today?, When was the last time you pooped?, what does it feel like?"
    It started to hurt to breath in all the way and I couldn't sit up. The pain was just getting worse and I was crying and yelling. Finally my mom decided to call the ambulance. That is when I started to get really scared. I had never been in one before and I didn't know what was going on.
    The ambulance came and put me on gurney and took me to the hospital. They gave me some pain meds in the ambulance which really helped with the pain and I started to feel better.
    When we arrived at the hospital they took some blood and asked me to pee in a cup. By now, I was feeling a lot better and just wanted to go home. It is about 11:00 p.m. by now. I decided to just got to sleep since it was taking so long.
    When the doctor came back he told me and my mom that so far all of my test were coming back negative and that I should be able to go home in about 30 minutes and that they were waiting for just one more test to come back. 30 minutes later, he came back and I was all ready to go. He said that my enzymes levels were extraordinarily high and that I couldn't leave and would need to be admitted.
    I went to my room and waited for the doctor to come back. When he arrived he discussed in more detail what was going on. I stayed in the hospital for about four days and they ran some test and I got some blood work done. Finally, on the fourth day we finally had some idea of what was going on. I was diagnosed with pancreatitis. 


Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, Joan. I'm so sorry. I will keep you in my prayers! Keep me/us posted, as you feel able, okay? All best, ... <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment